Saturday, December 13, 2008

A little Joke


Ok, I have a joke for you. This is dedicated to Craig and Lesley.

So there's this lawyer. He lives in a big mansion in a really expensive suburb. His toilet clogs up. He tries using the plunger. Doesn't do any good. So he calls a plumber. The plumber arrives, fixes the toilet, and writes up the bill. The lawyer takes one look at the bill and protests. "You've put down a charge of $250 for labor," the lawyer says. "But you spent less than half an hour doing that repair. You're charging more than $500 an hour! That's a lot more than I bill my clients and I'm a lawyer!"

The plumber nods sympathetically, "I used to be a lawyer too," he says.

It is funny because it is true. Plumbers can be oh-so expensive. I read this joke in the book, Boys Adrift by Leonard Sax.

1 comment:

Craig and Lesley said...

Too true. Here is my write up on Whipple posted on DexKnows:

"I found water leaking into my carpet and called Whipple. Their straight forward pricing shot my bill up fast. After removing a toilet and scoping a pipe with a camera the bill was already $638 in less than an hour of work. ( I had a part time general handyman fix a similar problem previously for a total of ONLY $115). Whipple misdiagnosed the problem as something much more serious and the plumber had the bill at over $2,000. I called in another plumber from a different organization the next morning and he got me out of the unjustified $2,000 mess and fixed the leak in the wall. The second plumber's organization charges about $125/hour. If a plumber is charging more than $150/hour for labor I would question their intentions."

May I add that three out of the four Whipple ratings are a single star and the 5 start rating sounds bogus (like it was written by a Whipple employee's wife)